Tuesday, July 24, 2012

La Semana de Gaseosas - Dia Dos: Jarritos Tamarind

Primero, que es un tamarind? Fui al Internet para apprender que un tamarind es una fruita de Africa y tiene muchas usas, pero in este caso, la furita madura es dulce y usa en jugo, helado, y marmaleda.

My brother, having tried these flavors prior to me, was also confused about the origins of the tamarind. The first thing that strikes you about this soda, other than its name, is its color. It's like a dirty, orange, brown, and let's hope it's not that Mexican goodness. The color is not off putting however, since I have never seen a tamarind and they could very well be the same color. For this, Jarritos benefits from my ignorance.

"You know I don't speak
   Spanish, in English please"
Popping the bottle I had no expectations but nothing could have prepared me for what I tasted: nothing. The soda had no taste. The most peculiar thing and honestly, as I sit here drinking it I must be dreaming. It hits your lips...nothing. It hits your tongue...OK, there's something. It's as if you're drinking ginger ale and that first sip is uber fizzy. But then there's nothing. No taste. No aftertaste. No dulce. No fruit. I am more perplexed by tamarinds now than before.

I look at the label. Ingredients: carbonated water, natural sugar, citric acid, natural flavor (tamarind?), caramel color (ah that's what it is), and sodium benzoate. What is going on here? Is Jarritos messing with me? Right now my stomach is full of a soda I never tasted. I just burped. Nothing!

I highly suggest trying this soda just to try a soda with no taste. If there is a flavor I'm missing, can someone with a more refined palate please let me know what I'm supposed to be tasting?

From the company: 8 oz has 110 calories, 0g of fat, 29g of carbs, 29g de azucar y 0g protein

**UPDATE** I told my brother that it had no taste and he said I drank it when it was too cold. I don't know how to take that.

No comments:

Post a Comment