Friday, October 19, 2012

Dr. Brown's Cream Soda

One thing I love about blogging is that I am actively seeking out and researching sodas and learning about new flavors and old flavors I've never tried. This especially goes for Dr. Brown's soda, of which I only believed there to be a couple of flavors. Hardly. They actually produce 8 different types and, to my surprise, make glass bottles. I've only seen cans and plastic and everyone knows soda is best enjoyed out of glass.

"Very good. You just earned yourself a Doctor Brown's."
- Krusty's dad
Dr. Brown's comes in as a very old soda, originating in New York in 1869 with Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda, which is a celery flavored beverage. Dr. Brown's sodas are also kosher, which is not entirely unique, but gives them some popularity.

Now, I am remiss to say that my review will be based on cans of Dr. Brown's cream soda since so far we've only been trying cream soda in glass bottles. I don't believe it will hurt their review, however, from an appearance standpoint it is hard to see the caramel color of the soda through opaque aluminum. Maybe one day science will create glass cans but until then, I just have to make do.

The cans themselves are quite nice, a dark brown color, with clear branding and, building off their New York origins, a picture of the Statue of Liberty centered on the front. I can see on their website that other flavors bear different New York landmarks, similar to Olde Brooklyn sodas. I poured the contents of one can into a glass to get a better gauge of the color and I was not let down. Despite the dark brown cans, the soda is the classic tan cream soda color and if I'm not mistaken, this one is more on the caramel side than the golden. Pouring it into a glass also let me see that this soda bears a substantial bit more carbonation than the others, with bubbles forming all over the sides and creating a thin head on top.

It's that carbonation that pops in the first sip. This cream soda drinks more like a soda and while it is not overly carbonated, bubbles are definitely present right away, sliding across the tongue and bursting on the roof of the mouth. But the most noticeable component of the first sip is the vanilla. It is not one that lasts but as the soda streams across your taste buds it is all you can sense. It is strong and almost on the vanilla bean or extract side rather than a syrup. That short lasting flavor, rather its intensity, makes this a chugging soda. I feel like all my sips are gulps and that taking it in smaller sips would just fill my mouth with carbonation, rather than cream soda goodness.

It is getting harder to really pick one cream soda over another but there is something special about Dr. Brown's. It isn't the creamiest, the flavor doesn't bite, and while it does have a surprising amount of carbonation, it falls somewhere in the middle with its smoothness and flavor.

"There's that word again. Heavy. Why are things so heavy
in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's
gravitational pull?" - Doc Brown
Smoothness: 7.5 - Smooth, but it doesn't coat your senses in creaminess
Overall Taste: 8.0 - The vanilla is strong with this one
Fizz Factor: 7.0 - An enigma, very carbonated, but not filling
Appearance: 8.0 - Caramel brown, and the added darkness casts a shadow in the center of the glass
Flavor: 8.5 - This is the classic cream soda


From the company: 12 oz has 180 calories, 0g of fat, 44g of carbs, 44g of sugar and 0g of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment