Monday, October 22, 2012

A&W Cream Soda

A&W stands for Allen & Wright, a fact I did not know until writing this post and a fact that maybe you, the reader, did not know either. Tuck it away in the back of your memory to be pulled out later during trivia. Much of America's familiarity with A&W comes from it's root beer stands and restaurants, which serve classic American burgers and other delicious food and according to their website, still make root beer in store. Growing up I was only exposed to one A&W and trips there always meant a root beer float. I'm looking at their website now and drooling over their freezes and floats and burgers and chili dogs and...

But the cream soda. Right off the bat I'm stating this is the darkest cream soda I've tested. With the lighting, it is truly hard to tell, but I think everyone can see the dark brown tornado center within the middle of the glass. Even coming out of the bottle it looks more like molasses than caramel. The bottle itself is nothing amazing, drawing on only the iconic A&W logo, but within...within is that All-American soda.

Remember: A&W = Allen & Wright
What can I say about the first sip other than it is all encompassing. It blasts your nostrils and almost pops in your mouth. The whole sensation is balanced, with no flavor, or bubble, truly dominating but existing within the whole experience is a slightly new taste. Like Stewart's, it appears A&W's secret recipe incorporates something different and looking at this label I see "yucca extract." Now, like with the Stewart's, I'm not going to definitively say this is what makes it unique, but what I will say is that A&W has an aftertaste that almost craves for a food compliment. I'm not sure if it is my memory but sipping this soda I begin to want a burger to go along with it. My mind is almost demanding french fries, which is an obviously sneaky request initiated by my stomach. From a fizz factor standpoint, the soda is, like with the taste, balanced. It is not overpowering but it does bubble and you will feel it inside you as you chug more and more.

After 5 different cream sodas, I'm beginning to find a clear front runner in my mind. A&W right now is not it, but it does offer some things that others can't. First, it might be the perfect one to drink with a meal. Second, it has a unique aftertaste. Third, it is widely distributed and easy to find. Lastly, it delivers on the vanilla taste demanded by cream soda enthusiasts. The soda is not only a must try because of the different taste, it is also a classic American beverage brewed by a classic American company.

Smoothness: 7.5 - Smooth...bubbles and vanilla are balanced
Overall Taste: 8.2 - Unique aftertaste and fountain style beverage
Fizz Factor: 7.5 - They are there and part of the overall style of this soda
Appearance: 7.8 - Dark, but minimal bubbles and no head, the soda is almost a uniform caramel color
Flavor: 8.3 - This is cream soda from the makers of an All American root beer...so you know it's good.

From the company: 12 oz has 170 calories, 0g of fat, 46g of carbs, 45g of sugar and 0g of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment